Wednesday, December 7, 2011

What Am I Really Watching?

After reading the end of Zeisler’s book, I was thinking about how most of my favorite shows are on ABC channel, which is owned by Disney. It really stuck out to me when she wrote, “On a national level, it didn’t take long before nearly every major movie studio, TV network, magazine publisher, book imprint, and record label was owned by one of just a handful of multinational corporations…” (Zeisler, 145). I looked at Zeisler’s discussion questions, and they made me think about what the advertisements are on that channel, and the topics discussed on The View, and everything that I love to watch mindlessly, is all owned by one big corporation. Though they made talk about diverse and liberal issues that I love, it still is eerie to me that there is this true monopoly over what I watch, without me and millions of other people really even realizing it. And I realized there has got to be some correlation between The View, and Modern Family, and Grey’s Anatomy, all of which are on ABC-Disney, and I’m obsessed with Disney and the Disneyland Corporation. So, I dug deeper and started looking at the commercials which coincide with I watch, as I usually think nothing of commercials, and mute them, thinking them unnecessary and irrelevant, when in fact, commercials show who is sponsoring the show and making a show that I love possible. I watch 15 seconds of a woman crying, which is actually an ad for the next Bachelor, which made me question how far we really have come as a society. I will continue to look at the images and ads, and in what way they connect with the show I’m watching. I will continue studying what I am truly watching, and truly become more media literate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment